The 5 Best Longboard Bearings - 2019 Updated
A bearing is the part that has tiny steel balls that run on a circular track inside it. One side of the bearing is attached by the truck, and the wheel attaches the opposite side. Longboard bearings are that make the wheel spin as the board moves. Two bearings are inside each longboard’s wheel which allows it to speed. That’s why choosing best longboard bearings is important to a rider.
Better bearings enable higher speed and smoother riding.
Every longboard bearing is a standard size and can fit inside of any wheel. But there are so many of suppliers out there in the market that may confuse you.
So, here we’ll help you pick out and compare among the best five bearings for longboard, and skateboard. We’ll go into the details and pros and cons of each longboard bearings in the next part.
However, you can firstly scan through the quick snapshot below for better overall picture of what we talk about.
BEST LONGBOARD BEARINGS - TOP 5
It may look small and simple, and you think it’s just a piece of cake until you actually separate the bearings for maintenance.
What makes up the longboard bearing are more complex than you think. A bearing will include seven parts below:
- C-ring: a thin ring that fits into a groove on the outside of the bearing to lock the shields in place.
- Bearing Shield: a medium-sized ring on the side of the bearing that prevents dirt from getting into the ball bearings.
- Outer Ring: the round metal exterior that all of the other parts fit into.
- Inner Ring: the smaller metal ring that fits within the outer ring. When you slide your bearing/wheel setup onto the axles, the inner ring is what the axles fit through.
- Steel/Ceramic Balls: set of 6 or 7 steel or ceramic balls that rest in the ball retainer. These are arguably the most important part of the bearing, as they allow the bearing casing to spin around them.
- Ball Retainer: also called a Delrin crown, the ball retainer holds the individual ball bearings in place, while still allowing the casing to spin around them.
- Rubber seal: The soft rubber ring on the outside of the bearing that assists in shielding the bearing interior against dirt and debris.
The skating bearing only does its best when each component performs properly. So if you want to skate like a boss, you need to regularly clean your bearings
Refer to this guide to know how to maintain the bearings in a right way.
Things To Consider When Buying Longboard Bearings
Well, there are a lot of brands and their longboard bearings products in the market.
Among them, it’s not easy to choose the longboard bearings that do stand out. It might be best bearings for you, but not for the others.
That’s why you need to go through several factors below to see what bearing fits you the most.
When it comes to bearing’s material, the industry uses different elements to product various bearing’s component. Manufacturers manage the process to have the desirable quality to maximize performance and life of the bearings.
And the two below are the most commonly used materials for skateboard and longboard bearings.
- Most of bearings are made out of steel. A longboard bearing’s primary function is to lessen the friction between the axle and wheels.
- There are 7 or 8 balls in steel bearings that help distribute the weight of the load.
- Steel bearings are still the favorite of many riders thanks to its durability and economic
- The highest quality longboard bearings are made of ceramic.
- The most common of this type is hybrid bearing, which is the combination of stainless steel rings and ceramic balls.
- Ceramic balls are made from silicon nitride. It is harder and smoother, and of course more expensive compared to steel.
Some longboard bearings existed spacers. Spacers fit in between the bearings and the wheel.
It’s allowed to tighten down the axles more yet still allowing the wheels to spin smoothly.
Pre – Lubrication
When bearings are pre-lubricated, they will spin faster right out of the box.
Most of the longboard, skateboard bearings are now pre-lubricated.
Standard size: Skating 608 bearings have been the standard size. It has a 22mm outer diameter, 7mm thick and 8mm bore. The standard size bearing helped in keeping the cost form bearings down.
Non – Standard: These are very rare and now virtually non- existent. Those are smaller than 608, but it needs an extra sleeve to match the 608 outside diameter.
The ABEC Rating System
The ABEC (Annular Bearing Engineering Committee) developed a rating system that measures the variation from exact measurement in precision bearings.
It measures the tolerance of longboard bearings. Higher tolerance means higher revolutions in per minute of the wheel. It has belonged to five scores 1,3,5,7 and 9.
The 5 Best Longboard Bearings 2019
Now, let’s head to the main part. Here’s our detail reviews for the five best bearings for for longboard.
However, before we come to the detail review, let me quickly brief you about how we should go through it. Each of these reviews will show you:
Product key features: are the essential information that give you an overview about the product.
Our ratings: are the score from 1 to 100 based on how good the bearing is in term of 3 factors:
- Performance: is the combination of many factors that define a good bearing
- Price: is how the product compares with other in terms of absolute price only, regardless of the quality
- Overall rating: is our own rating for the specific product, bases on all factors.
In-depth review: our detail go-through that helps you better understand why we consider this bearing one of the best bearing on the table.
Pros and Cons: are a summary of the advantages that make those longboard bearing stands out as well as the downsides that you need to consider before buying.
Now, let’s get started.
Heady Shake Pro Longboard, Skateboard Bearings
Head Shake Pro Skateboard bearings are faster, smoother and more efficient, more reliable skateboard bearings on the market.
These skateboard bearings use a special and unique lubricant for ensuring rub smoothly and quickly.
For superior precision skate bearings design, it is long-lasting and durable. It has a high-quality titanium coating. The temperature range from -320 degrees F to +750 degree F.
The pack includes eight bearings with skateboard spacers. The versatility and flexibility of the bearings are instantly noticeable and can handle longboards, kick scooters, skateboards and roller and inline skates.
It has a waterproof sticker and sturdy skateboard spacers. These Head Shake Pro is the first rad style skateboard bearing. The quiet rotation is also one of its strongest points. It boasts a high spinning speed.
The price of the these bearings is quite reasonable. You will get high-quality set of bearings at a good price. The 100% money-back gurantee let you buy without any worries.
- Ultra-fast and smooth ride on all surfaces
- Proven wear performance
- Pre-lubricated bearings with the help of an individual and unique lubricant
- Long-lasting and durable
- Flexible and versatile
- A stylish, skate-friendly, and sleek design
- Reinforced design for the gnarly ride
- The ABEC Rating is 9
- Shield with rubber, single side sealed.
- It is not suitable for certain intricate tricks
- Not ideal for beginners.
Yellow Jacket Premium Longboard Bearings
Yellow Jacket Skateboard, Longboard Bearings is manufactured in German. It gives a wide variety of designs and color choices for you.
They use the premium steel material that improves the smoothness for every spin.
Yellow Jacket bearings are better than many other bearing because they are durable. It has a high performing and most importantly, easy to put on the wallet.
Quality balls are designed with premium chrome steel for smooth gliding and optional performance.
One thing that makes these longboard bearing so promising is the fact that they spin fast.
Another great advantage that the Yellow Jacket bearings can provide is their ability to minimize friction.
Bearing cage is built with high-speed nylon for greater strength and less resistance. Its bearing stainless steel roll cage is injected with high-speed race luba.
If you are not 100% satisfied, then you can return this with a full refund.
However, the unfavorable fact is that it has a spinning noise from these bearings.
- Helps the wheels spin faster and longer
- Minimize the friction
- Waterproofed bearings
- High-speed, high- precision, and flexible
- Offers a smoother and more precise riding experience
- The ABEC Rating is 9
- Protection from rocks dust to lengthen the life of the bearing and maintain precision
- Value for money
- No-questions-asked refund
- It operates a bit noisily
- Not suitable for beginners
- Not durable when compared to the ceramic bearings
- These bearings have uneven rotation cycle
Bones Bearings Reds Bearings
Bones Bearing Reds Bearing are best selling skate bearing brands in the USA. The Bones Super REDS or REDS is a great choice for a low budget.
It has a single, non-contact, and removable rubber shield for easy cleaning and less friction. These bearings are also equipped high-speed nylon ball retainer which is for greater strength and speed.
It has standard which all other bearings are measured. The pack includes a set of 8 bearings. with spacers, washers and speed cream.
These longboard bearing contains pre-lubricated with speed cream racing lubricant. It is 75mm orange wheels, double washers on the insides and spacers.
They are steel bearings with standard size balls for the REDS design and slightly bigger balls for the Super REDS design.
The bearing is not rated by The ABEC (Annular Bearing Engineering Committee); however, the quality is proven by thousands of users.
- Come with super- finished stainless steel balls
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Balance between speed and acceleration
- Bones speed cream and spacers included
- Value for money
- Not ABEC rated
- Not durable compared to the ceramic type
Bones Bearings Ceramic Super Reds Bearings
This is the first ceramic bearing in the this. So, if you’re looking for super light, but harder, stronger, waterproof and durable longboard bearing, this is a great choice.
- Super light, harder, stronger and more durable compared to steel bearings
- Easy for cleaning
- Less friction
- Greater strength and speed
- Come with a warranty
- More expensive than steel bearings
Bones Super Swiss 6 Longboard Bearings
Bones Supper Swiss 6 Competition bearings are made in Switzerland. And this is enough to guarantee its quality.
It is an original design and you probably don’t see the difference between the super Swiss and the original Swiss. This has a unique bearing design with six bigger balls for increased speed, faster acceleration, and greater strength.
It has a balance between speed and precision. These spacers mainly help the two bearings staying parallel and become more stable while spinning.
There are rubber shields and bones speed cream applied inside to sustain the components over time. Bones Swiss are not the same bearing as Bones Swiss Ceramics but polished with chromium steel balls with the equal quality.
There is also a non- contact rubber shield that is removable for cleaning. The Bones doesn’t apply ABEC (Annular Bearing Engineering Committee) rating system for their bearing; however the Bones Swiss would rate pretty highly on the scale.
Bones Super Swiss Competition Bearings are precise and quiet. And they roll for days. They are as fast as any though and quieter than most.
- Increased speed, faster acceleration, and greater strength
- Included bones speed cream and spacers
- Removable rubber shield for reducing friction and easy cleaning
- Quality is as good as ceramic bearings
- Quieter than other steel bearings
- More expensive than standard steel bearings
LOVE & SHARE: